Pages

Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Making a star

I would like to start out by saying THANK YOU to everyone who viewed, left me a comment or sent me an email on last weeks Birds of a Feather Quilt post.  It's now the highest viewed post so far at 777 for one week as of this posting.  Your comments and responses are so kind, I cant wait to show you what I added to it.

This week I was playing on the computer using the EQ7 to make a block, now I didn't say new because I don't think there is such a thing.  I am new at quilting comparatively but even I have seen over a 1000 different blocks out there, just using HST. 

So here it is all HST


All of the squares start out 4"


 I used four different fabrics. 
     Color A - 6 pieces
     Color B - 6 pieces
     Color C - 2 pieces
     Color D - 2 pieces


To make the half square triangles use the combo chart below placing them right sides together.  Make a center crease or draw an erasable line- stitch two lines 1/4" on either side. Cut on the marked line, press to set the seam. A scant 1/4" works best to get the right size outcome.


These combinations
2  sets A+D  will make 4 HST
2  sets B+C will make  4 HST
4  sets A+B will make  8 HST

Open and press the seams to the dark side, square all of them up to 3 1/2" You won't need to trim off much but it is necessary to square it up, your whole block will come out better.


Using the diagram sew them together in rows


All together and Ta-Done!



8 comments:

  1. A star block quilt is on my to do list and this one looks so cool! Going to have to bookmark this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love how versatile HSTs are! This looks great and I'm going to pin it for future inspiration. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heh heh... I think you are right about most quilt blocks not really being new. This one looks great Pam!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This block might not be new but, isn't it fantastic that you can make your own?
    Well done!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not too good at EQ7 yet, but I also enjoy it.
    This block looks great! HSTs can be fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looking good! Have fun playing with EQ7!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like you're having fun. I think you will get a nice secondary pinwheel from this design, too. Great fabric combination.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a message and share your thoughts! Messages make me smile! I will email you directly after I have read them.
Thanks for stopping by!